When George C. Blanchard died in 1958, his loss was felt by many, including the editors of the Augusta Chronicle who – upon his passing – hailed his foresight and fearlessness.
Blanchard, they wrote, was a leading Augustan whose creative vision was responsible for many of this community’s most important building and real estate developments. Among them are the Forest Hills Subdivision, the old Forest Hills Hotel, the Veterans Administration Hospital; Country Club Hills, King Woods, the Maxwell House, and many more.
One of the city’s leading realtors, he was, in fact, a builder in the broadest sense of the word. He was a man of both vision and courage – with the courage to undertake large and visionary projects, many of which contributed substantially to the growth of Augusta and the landscape of this community. Mr. Blanchard contributed a great deal of this time and talents in civic and church work. He was a popular and highly respected citizen who had many friends in all walks of life.
Here’s to George.